Saturday, March 24, 2018
Doors Open: 2:00 PM
Program Starts: 2:00 PM
End Time: 4:00 PM
~ Issues ~ Answers ~ Winning
• REPEAL Costa-Hawkins Ballot Initiative: Understanding the Issue, presented by: Erik Erickson and Byers
What are the restrictions? Single family homes and condominiums are exempt from rent control under this state law. So is any apartment built after 1995, when Costa Hawkins was passed, or in some cases much earlier. If a city adopted rent control in 1980, for example — as Oakland and Berkeley did — then that is the cutoff; nothing built afterward can be subject to rent control. Costa Hawkins also prohibits cities from having a say in how much a landlord can raise the price after a tenant moves out, a policy known as vacancy control.
• Mountain View Rent Control Campaign 2016: Presented by Maria Marroquin, Measure V Fundraising Chair; Exec Dir, Mt. View Day Worker Center ,and Daniel Debolt: Measure V Communication Coordinator, reporter for Mt. View Voice. How they won the Mt. View Rent Control campaign despite opposition from • the Mt View City Council • a Lawsuit to stop funding rent control • Apartment owners million-dollar opposition campaign
Help Gather Signatures. We will have materials and instructions.
Save these dates...
Santa Cruz Tenants Association presents Rent Freeze Workshops:
Santa Cruz City, Rent Freeze, Know Your Rights Workshops:
• March 16, Friday, Louden Nelson, 7 - 8:30pm, 301 Center St., S.C.
• March 27, Tuesday, Peace United Church, 7 – 8:30pm, 900 High St., S.C.
Learn your Rights Workshop for renters only
• April 7, Saturday, SEIU hall, 11am, 517 Mission, S.C.